TOYCON returns to the SM Megamall Megatrade Halls next weekend, July 8 to 10, 2022. Megatrade Hall served as home to TOYCON for a long time, before it moved to SMX Manila in 2016 as its audience grew bigger.
What does TOYCON’s return to Megatrade mean to me? Memories—lots of memories. My first TOYCON was at the Megatrade, after all. Let’s go back to 2010, when my older cousin and I visited its 9th edition. At that time, DC Comics was celebrating its 75th year; 2RATS, CSCENTRL and GamerTotoy exist; Encantadia was the hit TV series; OTACOOL was one of my dream books to collect; and I was just having fun. Those were good times.
Fast forward to 2017, I get to be part of the team servicing specific parts of the event, thanks to my current job at the events company. SMX Manila became home to TOYCON starting that year, and a large statue of Voltes V was displayed there. If there’s one thing I remember about TOYCON at the moment, it’s how it shows its love for the mecha series.
Fast forward to this coming weekend, Voltes V celebrates its 45th year anniversary, and the QUICCS V63 figure is going to be released at TOYCON. There’s more to this year’s event—let me pull the list for a sec:
- The biggest Voltes V Licensing and merchandise exhibit, in collaboration with Telesuccess Productions Inc.
- Surprise Celebrity appearances (to be announced soon!)
- Funko Funatics Philippines release of exclusives and celebrity signings
- Top toy studios and designers from the region on exhibit
- TOYCON Creator’s Alley co-organized by the Bulletpunk Network where the top Filipino toy creators meet the up-and-coming young upstart creators
- Artist Alley – co-organized by Komiket with some of the Philippines top comic book artist/s assembled for signing and sketching
- The TOYCON Collectors Gallery c/o the Philippine Toy Groups Association
- Toy Art and Toy Customizing competition
- ToyClick and Cosclick Photography contest
- The TOYCON Cosplay Competition and the World Cosplay Summit Philippines NCR Qualifiers
- Collectors and Customizers Panel discussions
- The Pinoy Pop Culture Icon Awards
- And the Biggest collectibles retail floor of more than 250 booths
There are also live auctions, online selling seminars, and livestreams from its co-presenter Lazada. If you’re into digital collectibles, co-presenter Smart Signature got you covered.
Did I mention that the local idol community is already marking its return to live events after getting stuck in online streaming for two years? Event partner Ambox gathers local idol groups past and present for its Aidoru Sekai 2022 segment. ASFIRE, Pastel Mix, Color Up Project, P7eiades, Bella6ix, URODIA, Starlight and MiQx are lined up to perform at the TOYCON stage. Please look forward to them.
Wrapping this up, prepare your comfiest shoes, your big and wide eco-bags, especially your wallet, for three days of toys, hobbies and collectibles. The 19th Philippine Toys, Hobbies and Collectibles Convention (TOYCON PH) happens from July 8 to 10, 2022 at the Megatrade Hall of SM Megamall in Mandaluyong City. Tickets are available onsite, at SM Tickets outlets and online, or through the TOYCON 2022 Store on Lazada.
I won’t be roaming around too much since I’m going to be busy working, but I look forward to seeing you there regardless. Who knows, we can meet and I can share a piece of wisdom I learned from the events industry.